Thursday, September 22, 2011

(Don't) Be Such A Baby

Today I was in the Benson building before my chemistry lecture, and there was a really young mom (who are EVERYWHERE here!!!) out in the hallway with her baby, who was running around and laughing hysterically. This kid was pretty much the most adorable thing ever, and I was kind of laughing because she kept falling down in hilarious ways. Her mom said, "She's just starting to learn how to walk," as the baby kept giggling.

And I thought to myself, when do we stop being babies? I'm pretty sure the baby fell once every five steps or so, probably adding up to hundreds of times a day - but instead of getting angry or frustrated, the baby kept giggling and smiling, just so excited to be walking. When was the last time any of us failed repeatedly, even only 3 or 4 tries in a row, without getting annoyed? Often, when someone is whining and ready to give up, we say "Don't be such a baby." If I was a baby, I would take offence to that.

~ ~ ~

On an unrelated note, today I took my first Book of Mormon test in the Testing Center. When you walk out of the exam, they scan it (if it's a multiple choice) and flash your Student ID and score up on a TV screen. When people get a really low score, it also flashes up an encouraging message, and when people get a good score it says "Good job!" or "Awesome!" or something to that effect. However, I had the opportunity to find out that when you get 100%, it says "Perfect score!" Because apparently, I'm smart enough to ace a test, but not smart enough to understand how percentages work???

2 comments:

  1. Maybe your point is that if you were a baby you wouldn't take offense to anything? Ha, JK, good thought.
    So you could sit in the testing centre to scope out cute guys and then determine if they are also smart if you pay attention as their exams are scanned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, because it shows your mark based on the last 5 numbers of your ID, like 7-4853 or something. And there's so many of them up at once, you can't just look at people and tell who each mark belongs to.

    ReplyDelete