Monday, January 30, 2012

Terrible Blog-Keeping Skills and a Boyfriend

So, it's obviously been a couple of months since I've written a blog post. I probably had time last semester, but most of my spare time tended to get used up in unscheduled internet procrastination, which feels a lot different than saying "I'm going to take x amount of time to sit down and do something that is not studying." That's my weak excuse for last semester. I have a better excuse to not be writing this semester, because 18 credit hours and a boyfriend have a tendency to take up a lot of time - and yet, here I am, writing something.

Last semester went really well. I got pretty much all A's, except for a B+ in Biology, because the final pretty much covered everything I hadn't studied hard and nothing that I had studied. I had a lot of fun socially too, but nothing particularly memorable stands out to me.

I went home for Christmas, which was really fun. It was nice to see snow again - Utah is having a ridiculously warm winter, a lot of the time it's like 15 degrees Celsius or something ridiculous like that. I got to see a lot of my old friends, spend time with family, go skiing, learn how to navigate airports, etc. I also learned how to pack things really really really efficiently on the way home.

My classes this semester are good, but not quite what I expected. Chem 112 is proving to be more of a challenge than I thought, seeing as I kept an A in Chem 111 with virtually no effort whatsoever. Meanwhile, I thought my lab class (Chem 113) would be really difficult for me, but instead I'm doing a really good job. Go figure. I also have French, which is an interesting mixture of really easy and really difficult, depending on whether we're doing grammar or pronunciation. I know pretty much all the grammar stuff we're going to learn this year, but I've always had a terrible accent. I learned lots of travel vocabulary last unit, though, which should be good for our trip to Paris! Also, my professor is just a sweetheart. That isn't even a word I like using, but it's pretty much the only way to describe her.

I have two religion classes, Book of Mormon and New Testament, which are both good. My New Testament class is really easy, really boring, and comes with all the notes provided. I can't stay awake in that class no matter how hard I try. However, he makes you study for half an hour for five nights a week, which bugs me because I don't need to study that much, but I have to in order to get points for it. Fortunately, Mason is more than happy to text me while I study in order to drag it out to half an hour.

My American Heritage class is alternately interesting, frustrating, and boring. When we talk generally about ideals, or when I learn genuinely new things, it's great. Sometimes it's frustrating though, because I know so much less than some kids in the class, so the assignments take me longer and I'm never quite sure if I did what the professor is looking for. And sometimes, there is just no possible way to see what we're talking about as applicable to my life, and it's boring. Also, my roommate is in that class, and I finally understand how so many ridiculous politicians get elected. On one assignment, she said that reforming the tax code was an example of how the Democratic platform isn't in harmony with the Gospel, because President Monson never said we should reform it. I don't even understand what's going on in her brain sometimes.

My last class is beginning guitar, which is a blast. Mason and I have it together, and we're both progressing really quickly. By the end of the semester, I think I'll have the basic skills to go on and figure out whatever songs I want with the help of the internet.

I'm sure at least one person here wants to hear about my boyfriend, so I'll indulge you, but it's kind of difficult to do without knowing what you're interested in hearing. He's 5'11, he has dark blonde hair and blue eyes. He's from Sandpoint, Idaho, which is DIFFERENT than dating someone from south Idaho, okay? No judgement. Haha. He's an electrical engineering major, he wants to look at prosthetics and artificial organs and stuff, he sings in BYU Men's Chorus, he's a National Merit scholar, he was on the crosscountry and track teams in high school, he knows the words to more songs than anyone I've ever met, he speaks French, he longboards, he snowboards and skiis, and he's just as much of a nerd as I am. He's also very fun to talk to. (I don't understand why girls complain about guys being hard to talk to or not talking. Maybe they just need to find different guys.) We're on the exact same wavelength about a lot of things, it's actually kind of uncanny sometimes. He can put his mission papers in on Sunday, which is really exciting.

I don't want to be this person:



So, I'll shut up now. If people want to hear more about Mason, like how we met or when we started dating or whatever, you can ask me in the comments and another blog post can satisfy your curiosity.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that texting your boyfriend while pretending to study should count :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not pretending to study, I do study, it just makes me read slower. And I got 100 on the last exam, so obviously I'm working as hard as I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-ha-ha-ha! I love that you were basically forced to use the word sweetheart. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how did you meet him????????????????????????????




    P.S. I'm serious

    Love: Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. He doesn't live in Sand point he live in SandPOONt :D
    I would love to here more you are being so open.

    Love Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keith says he had the same chemistry experience with those classes. I'm glad you are posting, it's fun to read what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete