Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Devotionals

So BYU has devotionals every Tuesday. The last few have been super awesome, so I'm making a note of it here.

The one on March 6 is called "What Happens When Life Gets One Degree Colder?" and the mp3 is available for download here. I would highly recommend it. I don't have much to say about it, except that it's one of my favourite devotionals, talks, etc., that I've heard.

The one last Tuesday wasn't as good, but it had more things that I specifically needed to hear. (download here)

I was really tired, and I was kind of sleeping, but I tuned in to hear him say something about how we'll all be accountable for our stewardship at the Judgement Day. As soon as he said that, my mind immediately imagined me standing before the Lord. He asked me, "What have you done with the talents I have given you?"

And I thought, "Oh crap."

Because, you see, over the past couple of weeks I've been tired, and lazy, and ready for the semester to be over so that I can sleep in and not do homework anymore.

My mind sensed an excellent opportunity to make myself feel guilty, so it followed up with questions like "What about the gifts I have given you? Your time? Your body - what have you done with that gift? What did you do with your opportunities to serve others? To magnify your callings?"

Finally, "What have you done with this day I have given you?" Tuesday hadn't really started yet, so I thought back to Monday. "...I looked at funny pictures on the Internet...and...um...slept through French...but not today! Today I'll do better!"

(To clarify for anxious parents, it's not like I've been completely slacking off or anything. I just realized, hey, I can do a lot better than this)

So, I've decided to ask myself that, or rather to imagine the Lord asking me that, at the end of every day. "What have you done with this day I have given you?" I'll honestly assess it and do better the next day.

I know it's hardly been 24 hours, but I think this has the potential to be the first self-improvement strategy that really sticks beyond a couple of weeks, or however long the Personal Progress goal is, or whatever. All day, whenever I start to go on the Internet or otherwise be unproductive, the same question pops into my head.

What have you done with this day I have given you?

And someday, I'm going to be able to smile and proudly say, "Everything you wanted me to."

5 comments:

  1. The ones who send me a facebook message every time I post a status about my classes being hard or something

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaclyn, you are so awesome. I'm so glad I have you in my life. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remind me not to read your blog when I'm in class. You almost made me cry. :P

    ReplyDelete