So, the first thing I learned last week is that government bureaucracy is annoying, which I probably should have already known. I went down to the Social Security Office to get my SSN so I could start working, and apparently there's a problem with my immigration status in the computer. The guy at the office says it happens all the time and it's probably not a big deal, but I have to wait like a month until I can work while I wait for them to sort it out. I was really upset. I guess the plus side is that whatever the problem is gets caught now, when it's not exactly urgent, as opposed to if I were applying for permanent residency later or something.
That evening, our Stake had an opening social at Seven Peaks water park, which was exactly what I needed to cheer me up. So, that was super fun.
Other than that, it's mostly just been school-type stuff. All of my classes continue to look really easy. There's an old asian guy who helps coach my badminton class, and I feel like I'm in the karate kid.
It turns out Sonya is actually moving out in the middle of September. She's discontinuing from BYU to work for a year, and she's just finishing up this one class she has an incomplete in. She's selling her contract to someone named Princess from Chicago, who knows one of the other residents. Amber thinks it's pretty funny that the darkest roommate will be sharing a room with the palest roommate. (Princess is black.)
This guy named Ben has been really awkwardly pursuing Sarah, and today I sat her down and gave her a lecture on how dating isn't a charity, and how she's not doing him any favours by "being nice." I felt kind of like my dad when I did it. She thought it was really good advice though.
The other day, our apartment received a free magazine for BYU and UVU students. It's supposedly about school, and most of the articles were on that subject, but the "main article" this month was kissing tips. I thought that was pretty hilarious. (Side note: I'm pretty sure there are two types of kissing tips. There's the "Well, no duh!" type and the "Whaaaaaaaaat??? Who would do that?!" type.)
Mason leaves for Montreal on Tuesday. I'm pretty excited, and not just because I feel like I sound ridiculous when people find out about him, start asking questions, and find out he's still in the MTC :)
So until next week, be excellent to each other.
You've been in the same city all this time??? Of course!
ReplyDeleteDating not being a charity - definitely your dad.