Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Brief Description of New Situations

Roommates:

Shantelle: from Pocatello, Idaho, a graduate student studying math. Excellent cook, easygoing, fun.
Sonya: from South Korea, junior studying biology, my roommate. Moving out at the end of the semester. I wouldn't say I'm glad, but I'm not sorry either. Sharing a room with her is a pretty neutral experience.
Amber: from Layton, Utah, a senior studying Chemical Engineering. Gets my sense of humour. Kindly makes food for everyone in the apartment...badly, and on Fast Sunday morning.
Sarah: from Ohio, a sophomore studying history. Nice. Not much else to say about her so far.
Audrey: from Texas, a sophomore studying dance. Dating Neil, also from Texas and studying physics.

So far, all of my roommates and I get along really well. We've all hit it off way more than I did with my last roommates. Sonya hasn't made as much of an effort to be friendly with the rest of us, because she's always studying or sleeping, but other than that, we've had a lot of fun so far.

Yesterday, I was having some people over for ice cream, and I woke up thinking, "I need to clean the apartment before they come over!" Then I thought, "I'm turning into my mom." When I got out of bed, Amber was already cleaning. I think we'll get along quite well, haha.

~~~

Classes:

Analytical Chemistry: not my favorite branch of chemistry, but the class should be OK. All of the labs are done in groups of 4. My group looks semi-competent. Possibly the only class I might not get an "A" in, but also not very stressful.

Organic Chemistry: my professor is awesome. He's managed to hold my attention through the review of molecular orbitals, which is quite impressive. I think I'm going to ace this class.

Chem Safety: I have six hours of class to go to all semester. It looks like an OK class. I already know most of it from working at Sanjel, so it'll be pretty easy. The professor is pretty good, which is a bonus.

French: my professor served his mission in France. So far, it's been pretty easy. I'm probably the most creative as far as role-playing exercises go. It's a fun class.

Physics: my professor is hilarious. The class is really, really, really boring, because I already know most of it. I'm not sure whether it's going to be a good or a bad class yet.

Statistics: every semester needs at least one class where you can just go on Facebook for the hour. It's extremely easy, which is good because my professor is terrible. Every lesson is like a cross between a Sunday School lesson and the Republican National Convention. Earphones have been liberally used in this class. Occasionally I catch snippets like, "...well, it's clear none of you understand the intricacies of breastfeeding..." The class is so much better out of context.

Badminton: this class is awesome. Enough said.

~~~

Job:

So, I've been hired with BYU Catering! I just have to get some paperwork done with getting a Social Security number, and I should be able to be hired by next Thursday! I'm super psyched!

~~~

Totally-Not-Waiting:

As usual, I worried too much. Anticipating Mason leaving was definitely worse than actually having him on his mission. So far, it really hasn't been difficult for either of us at all. The lesson: worrying is dumb. Don't worry.

So, that's what's going on with me. It's going be a great semester!


2 comments:

  1. Are you going to get your own room after sonya leaves and are you even a good enough cook o work as a caterer I am sure you'll do fine but thats not the job I would have guessed for you to get it sounds really fun.

    Love Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen's comments kill me! ha ha! I'm sure BYU Catering is a big operation, but one of my former YW is up there as a freshman and just got a job with BYU Catering, too. Her name is Kai Bowen.

    I'm glad you have clicked with your roommates better this year (minus the neutral one). I had a dream last night that I was back at BYU and realized I had never arranged housing. And, wow, so odd with the breastfeeding comments in Stats. Is your professor a man? That makes it even more weird!

    ReplyDelete